Sunday, May 1, 2011

Next on the to-do list: Sunburn!

Holy shit was it beautiful out today.  Beautiful!  The sun was shining, it was about 70 degrees, it was real spring to go along with May Day.  I spent the entire day, literally, in the yard.  My back is sore, my thighs are sore, my ass is sore, and it feels wonderful.  I have approximately 600 bulbs, almost entirely dug out of a 12-square-foot area, mostly (400 or so) some sort of bluebell-like thing (the closest I can come up with is Spanish Bluebells) and about 200 daffodil bulbs.  I could rip up the yard and do it all in flowers in what I dug out of that little spot behind the fence.  And then I dug up some dandelions (maybe 0.2%) and raked up some winter-leftover leaves.  Today was all about the yard, and I didn't leave home.  (Then tonight, for fun, we watched Roman Holiday...such a wonderful movie.  All about running away for the day and forgetting everything just to have fun.)  Oh, yeah, and I made biscuits and eggs over-easy for breakfast.  For the record, until I have a pastry blender, I don't intend to ever cut butter into anything.  Ever.  Sheesh, that was hard!  But the biscuits are pretty delicious.


Yesterday, I put a big push into moving.  "She's still doing that?" you're thinking?  Sadly, yes.  But...and this is big...yesterday I managed to get all my CDs packed!  Now all I've got to do is hire movers for a half dozen pieces of furniture that won't fit in my car, deal with the yard stuff and the basement storage, and have a yard sale.  Whew!  We also went to the farmer's market (the big one at PSU, my favorite) for some chard and collards, radishes, black trumpet mushrooms, bok choy...and ribs.  That was Lovely Partner's project for today, and they were delicious (he also tossed the bok choy on the smoker which was lovely, though needs some adjustment so the leaves don't end up crispy).  We found a recipe for winter greens pesto that sounds like an awesome thing to do with the chard and collards.  A week ago I made a wild sorrel pesto that was pretty good, too.  I tossed it into some (from a box) mac and cheese this afternoon and I was pretty pleased with the results.  The plan for the mushrooms is a quiche, because the black trumpets have such an affinity for eggs.  

The one thing I didn't get done this weekend was a hike.  I was going to do that today, but I was totally wiped out by crouching and wresting bulbs out of the clay for hours on end.  My plan is to work up to being able to hike up to the top of Mt. St. Helens.  Well, that and I didn't make anything that wasn't food, I suppose.  I dug stuff up rather than making stuff.

I feel creative.  I feel productive.  And yet my only visible end products are consumed (or composted) by the end of the week.  Huh...I think I'm okay with that sometimes.  

P.S.  The potatoes are sprouting!  A couple dozen leaves!  I am a real gardener officially for this year!

No comments:

Post a Comment